The following are ways to ease natural disaster-related stress:
- Do not hold yourself responsible for the disastrous event or be frustrated because you feel you cannot help directly in the rescue work.
- Use existing support groups of family, friends and religious institutions.
- Talk with someone about your feelings - anger, sorrow and other emotions - even though it may be difficult.
- Spend time with family and friends.
- Participate in memorials.
- Take steps to promote your own physical and emotional healing by healthy eating, rest, exercise, relaxation and meditation.
- Maintain a normal family and daily routine, limiting demanding responsibilities on yourself and your family.
- Seek help from professional counselors who deal with post-disaster stress.
Ensure you are ready for future events by restocking your disaster supplies kits and updating your family disaster plan. Doing these positive actions can be comforting.Contact Ground Zero Shelters if you have any questions.