Indiana is no stranger to strong storms and tornados. Get more information about Indiana tornados below, and read about Indiana tornado averages here.
- A 2012 report ranked Indiana as eighth out of the 20 most tornado prone states.
- A 2011 report ranked South Bend, Indiana 15th among the top 20 tornado prone states based on weather data compiled since the 1950s.
- In a similar report, Indianapolis was ranked the eighth most tornado prone city.
- Since the 1950s, Indiana has had about 90 violent tornados.
- Between the years of 1950- 2006, Indiana experienced 1, 327 tornados.
- Indiana was one of the affected states during The Tri-State Tornado, the deadliest recorded tornado in U.S. history.
- Many tornado-related deaths are around mobile home communities because they are properly built to withstand tornados.
- Indiana’s tornado history has been recorded since the 1800s.
- The Palm Sunday Tornado of 1965 included at least 10 tornados and killed 137 people.
- On April 3, 1974, a Super Cell struck a number of Midwestern and southern states that included Indiana which caused upwards of $100 million.
Going down to your basement is only one line of defense against tornados, but installing a tornado shelter can prove to be an invaluable option. Request more information about our shelters including our safe rooms today.