Ohioans are no strangers to tornados, but you can never know too much about a natural disaster. Here at Ground Zero, we’ve compiled some quick Ohio tornado facts.
- In recent history, the 90s have had the most reported tornados at 198 during that decade.
- Ohio has about 16 tornados per year.
- There were 29 tornados in Ohio on July 12, 1992, the most recorded tornados since the 50s.
- 1988 is the only year in Ohio that had no reported tornados.
- Since the 1950s, Ohio has had over 900 tornados.
- Larger cities like Cleveland have recorded the most tornados because of their denser populations.
- Lorain and Richland counties have had 26 twisters in about 60 years making them the counties with the most recorded tornados in Ohio.
- 59% of Ohio tornados have struck in the months of May, June, and July.
- About 60% of Ohio tornados take place between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Tornados between 11 p.m. and 10 a.m. are quite rare in Ohio.
In Ohio, our technicians install safe rooms and underground tornado shelters that can stand strong against extreme winds. When you order a Ground Zero shelter, you can rest soundly knowing that your home has been equipped with a lifesaving shelter. Contact us today to request more information.