Ohioans are no strangers to tornados, but you can never know too much about a natural disaster. Here at Ground Zero, we’ve compiled some quick Ohio tornado facts.
- In recent history, the 90s have had the most reported tornados at 198 during that decade.
- Ohio has about 16 tornados per year.
- There were 29 tornados in Ohio on July 12, 1992, the most recorded tornados since the 50s.
- 1988 is the only year in Ohio that had no reported tornados.
- Since the 1950s, Ohio has had over 900 tornados.
- Larger cities like Cleveland have recorded the most tornados because of their denser populations.
- Lorain and Richland counties have had 26 twisters in about 60 years making them the counties with the most recorded tornados in Ohio.
- 59% of Ohio tornados have struck in the months of May, June, and July.
- About 60% of Ohio tornados take place between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Tornados between 11 p.m. and 10 a.m. are quite rare in Ohio.
In Ohio, our technicians install safe rooms that can stand strong against extreme winds. When you order a Ground Zero shelter, you can rest soundly knowing that your home has been equipped with a lifesaving shelter. Contact us today to request more information.