Keep up to data with Virginia’s weather history, including the interesting tornado facts below.
- Virginia average 10 tornados a year.
- 42% of Virginia’s tornados are category F-1 tornados.
- These F-1 tornados have cause almost $1 million in damages.
- Virginia suffers the most tornados between the months of April and September.
- Tornados can be produced in Virginia when a strong hurricane passes the state.
- At least 15 hurricanes have produced tornados in Virginia.
- Mountainous regions and the Chesapeake Bay area seem especially prone to tornados.
- Denser populated areas are most likely to have more reported tornados.
- Watersprouts are common in Virginia and once they reach land they are considered a low level tornado.
- Watersprouts usually affect the tidewater counties.
Even though tornados in Virginia have been recorded since the 1700s, there is still a lot of misinformation about them. Knowing all you can about Virginia and using this information to stay secure is imperative. Ground Zero’s technicians are knowledgeable about creating a variety of tornado storm shelters like the above ground safe room.Order your shelter today!